Tuesday, January 17, 2006

How's the Weather?

(still do not have details on the ferry sinking but I think no one was hurt in the incident, although some got wet. Also David M. returned from Managua last night and saw the sunk ferry. He said both platano trucks were still on the boat in the water. Peter A. had to stay on in Granada for his tooth work.)
******
I know folks up in Pacific Northwest are still getting rained on - I will be there soon now, wonder if it will still be raining in a week and some. Here, after the torrential tropical downpour of a few nights ago, it has been "cold" in the evenings. The last two nights have been, would you believe, blanket nights - by blankets I mean something just slightly thicker than a sheet, but pretty good sleeping weather, i.e. no sweating in bed. Today, Tuesday, it's back up to 90ish.



I thought folks would like to see where I am blogging from. The first photo is my little blog outcove in Red Libre central and the second is the view from the window that is overexposed in the first photo. David M. and I were just saying what a terrible place to have to compute from :) Also on the window sill you can see a just brewed cup of the Caracól (peaberry) that I roasted three days ago. What a great cup of coffee - like want to lick the bottom of the cup when it is all gone.

*****


This morning I walked down to D&L's to see if David had returned from Managua. He was there and lots of activity, installation of a fence gate and window gratings - I forget the spanish name. Turns out Bernabé was due any minute and wanted to come up to Finca Magdalena to see the new roaster in action. We chatted for awhile and Bernabé turns up with pickup - no climb back up the hill for me and David. I roasted 2 kilos of the flatbean to show Bernabé, he was pretty impressed with the setup, the ease of the process and the big improvement for the health of the roasters. He explained that the lung problems people seem to get from wood smoke, especially the old coffee roasting method, is irreversible - David M. says it compares to a three pack a day habit.



The surprise of the day was when I got to the finca veranda, there was chain saw activity on the side wall of the main building/cocina. What's this?, I ask. "El nuevo cuarto del tostador." They are adapting a room for the roaster to be housed and coffee roasted - we have been roasting on the veranda. It's going to be perfect - two windows on the side and another window will be cut in the front wall for touristas to view the roasting and smell the beans they are then going to want to buy. I hope I can see this completed and operational before I take off. I also chatted with Bernabé about the opportunities for local economic development based on high quality roasted beans. I related the request from Di at the Iguana in San Juan del Sur to be able to serve Ometepe coffee at their restaurant, and certainly other places around the island and in the mainland parts of the Rivas district might be interested, Granada possible also. Probably enough customers to require more roasters or a larger commercial roaster. This, as other things will move slowly and probably at the pace of my expected returns, yearly or so, to Isla de Ometepe. I sure would like to see some of the coffee feeding the local economy - it somehow feels more satisfying than the export business and could even contribute to export demand as well - building the reputation of the Ometepe coffee name.

Well it's back down to D&L's and a Peter check and then hike backup in time for dinner.
buenas noches todo,
David

next page

3 Comments:

Anonymous Celina said...

Hi David! I tried to email you but i received a "don't know you" reply. It's been a difficult adjustment and return for me - worse than last time.

It's great to hear you are accomplishing so much! It's amazing how some things move so quickly - a new roasting room and windows all of a sudden?!! - yet other things are so slow. It will be exciting to return and see what's happened.

And, YIKES! about the ferry sinking! I'm glad to hear no one was hurt, but i'm sure it puts a crimp in the works.

I love hearing about the people you've met. For sure one of the highlights of this trip for me was the variety and quality of the people I/we got to know that were just passing through.

By the way, today it didn't rain! It was actually pretty sunny! Days like that make coming home a little easier.

January 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]You have really contiributed very good info here ometepeinjanuary.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Let me show you one truth. Recent Research shows that almost 50% of all United States grownups are either obese or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am blogger of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.

March 20, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reads my reviews about male enhancement pills befor your buy male enhancement products that really works and effective to increase your health and better your life. thank you. you can reads this reviews at http://www.male-sexual.com - vimax pills - penis enlargement

July 22, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home